Harry and Meghan have appeared at Windsor Castle to greet well-wishers during the second day of national mourning.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrived with the Prince and Princess of Wales at Cambridge Gate earlier this evening. It is thought to be the first time the couples have been seen in public together since March 2020.
Harry and William have not been seen in public together since the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh last year. The duke was pictured leaving Balmoral Castle alone on Friday morning after the death of his grandmother.
A spokesperson for Prince William said he invited his brother and sister-in-law to join him and Catherine to look at the tributes and flowers left outside the royal residence.
Security barriers were placed around the area as crowds – at Windsor paying their respects to Queen Elizabeth II – erupted into cheers at the impromptu appearance.
The duke and duchess held hands as they read tributes. Both couples, who were dressed in all black, then spent 40 minutes speaking to members of the public.
William and Kate walked along one side of the road as they greeted people, while Harry and Meghan walked along the other.
At one point, the Duchess of Sussex embraced a teenage girl who asked her “can I have a hug” as onlookers filmed the moment on their phones. William was also passed a small Paddington Bear toy, in a nod to the Queen’s jubilee sketch with the character, which he passed on to an aide.
One member of the crowd was heard saying to him “I love you William” as others called out his name. The Prince of Wales thanked people for coming to pay their respects.
After the walkabout, which marked the Prince and Princess of Wales’ first engagement under their new titles, both couples left in the same vehicle.
After travelling separately from his brother and other relatives to Balmoral on Thursday, the duke was not able to reach the castle until about 8.30pm – two hours after the Queen’s death was announced.
The Sussexes, who had been nearing the end of a tour of Europe, are expected to stay in the UK to attend the Queen’s funeral on 19 September.
The Prince of Wales earlier paid tribute to the Queen in a statement released by Kensington Palace. “On Thursday, the world lost an extraordinary leader, whose commitment to the country, the Realms and the Commonwealth was absolute,” he said.
“So much will be said in the days ahead about the meaning of her historic reign. I, however, have lost a grandmother. And while I will grieve her loss, I also feel incredibly grateful. I have had the benefit of The Queen’s wisdom and reassurance into my fifth decade.
“My wife has had 20 years of her guidance and support. My three children have got to spend holidays with her and create memories that will last their whole lives.”
He said the Queen had been at his side at his happiest and saddest moments. “I knew this day would come, but it will be some time before the reality of life without grannie will truly feel real,” he said.
“My grandmother famously said that grief was the price we pay for love,” he concluded. “All of the sadness we will feel in the coming weeks will be testament to the love we felt for our extraordinary Queen. I will honour her memory by supporting my father, the King, in every way I can.”